Steven's Scribbles

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Rattlesnake encounters and little kids from SC

Hope everybody's summer is still going well. I just passed the halfway mark for my time working as a Blackstone Intern with the ERLC and thought I'd give an update. I have really been able to see that Christians desperately need a voice on Capitol Hill and that many more secular interest groups are trying to sway the leadership of our country in the wrong direction. So far, I've been able to work on some cool projects like defending the FCC's ability to fine broadcasters for airing profanity during the daytime, analyzing several immigration proposals for their constitutionality and for whether they line up with biblical principles, gone to meet with several Representatives and a Senator on pro-family and pro-life issues, and gone to the Supreme Court.

Over the weekend, I went with some friends over to the Shanendoah Mountains and came within a foot of stepping on a four-foot long rattlesnake. I threw down my stick, ran, then came back and watched as it crawled off the trail, coiled up, and reared its head back with its rattle going full speed. We also got to do some platform jumping into a lake, but didn't see the snake again.

This week, however, is probably the one I've looked forward to most. I am helping 10 other college students from around the country lead Student Leadership University 201, which has 457 high school students here to learn about faith and politics. We have each been assigned 50 kids as our responsibility and will be seeking out one-on-one and one-on-few discipleship opportunities and simply opportunities to show Christ's love to them. It's been great so far. I accidentally let a "ur mom" slip to one of the groups from South Carolina when they made fun of Mississippi and all the guys tackled me to the ground. Lesson learned. Anyways, this week please pray for these students to see what it means to be an influenial Christian leader in their communities and in their world, and pray that I would have courage and wisdom in every opportunity I have with them as we hang out at the hotel or venture around the city. Also pray that I get more than the four hours of sleep I managed last night.Ha.

Looking forward to seeing you guys in a few weeks. God bless!
-Steven

1 Comments:

  • Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blog and I'm impressed! Extremely useful information specially the last part :) I care for such information much. I was seeking this particular information for a long time. Thank you and good luck.

    Here is my web blog diets that work fast for women

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:29 AM, March 15, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home