Steven's Scribbles

Monday, August 15, 2005

Back in Oxford

Well, after about three months in the Ozarks of Missouri, I am now back in Oxford. At Kanakuk, a high-intensity Christian sports kamp organization with eight kamps in Missouri and Colorado, I had the opportunity to work with kids ages 7-11 the first half of the summer and high school kids the last half of the summer. Needless to say, the high school kids were a little more fun and K-2 was a little more exciting, but it was all good. I know for sure that I'll miss all the relationships with so many kids that I developed, especially at K-2.

The last day of camp was marred by a fire that swept through the girls side of camp, destroying eight of the 20 girls' cabins and two bathhouses. But the bright side is that the last kid left about an hour before it happened and they had planned on
doing some renovations anyway.

I've got a lot to do this week before school starts, but hopefully I'll get a more thorough update on here soon.

My laptop's hard drive is sick right now, so it may be awhile before I can starting making some frequent posts again. In the meantime, check out just a fraction of my pictures from the summer by clicking on the link in the post below (July 27: Summer Update Part II).

3 Comments:

  • Thank you for the Kanakuk fire update. I am a former Kanakuk employee and was worried when I heard about the fire. Do you know anymore details? How did it start and did all of K-2, K-7, and K-West work to put it out?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:34 PM, August 16, 2005  

  • Josh, pretty much the story of the fire is that it started in the first girls cabin at the top of the hill and just spread down the hill all the way to cabin 8 because of the intense heat of the blaze, the close proximity of the cabins and a little breeze. Fortunately, no one was hurt.

    The counselors in the first four cabins lost their personal possessions, but the others were able to salvage what they had before the fire spread.

    Any cause of the fire at this point is just speculation. I guess the most popular rumor going around is that when people were cleaning up their cabins and stacking their mattresses, they got too close to the light bulb and it got too hot. Just speculation.

    A few people from K-Seven and K-West started over to help out but were sent back because all the guys at K2 were doing everything that could possibly be done.

    I think that's about it, but if you wanna chat more, drop me an e-mail.

    -Steven G.

    By Blogger Steven G., at 9:51 PM, August 16, 2005  

  • I also have pics of the fire if you want them.

    By Blogger Steven G., at 9:52 PM, August 16, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home