Steven's Scribbles

Monday, May 16, 2005

Another year in the books

It seems like only last week that I was toiling away in the newsroom of the Clarion-Ledger down in Jackson anxiously awaiting the start of my junior year in college. This had to be one of the fastest — but probably the most productive — year since I've been at Ole Miss.

Here are just a few highlights (and lowlights) from 2004-2005:

• The first week of school was marked by tragedy. Just days after a roommate's mother died, the ATO fratnerity house burned down, killing three students. I received a call that morning from an editor around 7 a.m. and was on the scene shortly thereafter. I had a story on the Clarion-Ledger web site by 8:30 a.m., the first story about the fire that day.

• During the fall semester and part of the spring semester I worked alongside two other guys on 92 Sportsline, a sports talk show on Rebel Radio.

• Helped carry the goal posts around Scott Field with my Gator-fanatic friend, Joe, after Mississippi State shocked Florida 38-31 in Starkville.

• Watched Ole Miss go through its first losing football season in eight years. Subsequently, a great man was fired because his boss insisted on micromanaging his team. Now, Ole Miss has a former drunk and former alleged wife-beater as its coach.

• Saw the long process of chartering a chapter of Alpha Phi Omega on the Ole Miss campus finally come to fruition with a ceremony in December.

• Got all four of my wisdom teeth cut out a week later.

• At the end of December, a friend and I flew to Denver for a national leadership conference. We had a chance to ride up to Boulder, and ended up doing some bouldering on the Flatirons west of town.

• During January and February, I was a head coach for Upward Basketball, a Christian youth basketball league designed to teach children about Christ through the game of basketball. We finished second place after blowing an 11-point lead in our final game of the year.

• I ran for ASB Senate and won. Served until April, working on the Academic Affairs committee.

• I applied for a job at Kanakuk and got it. Will be doing public relations, mainly photography and feature writing, this summer in Branson, Mo.

• Saw a lecture by Prince Edward of England while doing a story for the Clarion-Ledger in February.

• I got to teach two fifth-grade classes at Central Elementary about the writing process and how newspaper reporters do their job. I also have had the pleasure of hanging out with their rockin' student teacher, Miss Parker.

• In my first-ever competitive tennis tournament, I won the intramural intermediate singles championship.

• I applied for ASB Cabinet and got it. Will serve as the Director of Communications through April 2006.

• Got muddy while standing in the rain to see Switchfoot at Memphis in May.

• Finished a third year of writing for the Oxford Eagle.

• And finally, out of the 11 classes I took in the fall and spring semesters, I ended up with 10 As and one B. Can't complain there.

Looking foward to August already.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home